For the mince:
50 ml of olive oil
1 large finely chopped onion
650g Porky Down’s beef mince
2tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp plain flour
150ml red wine
4 sprigs fresh thyme
400ml beef stock
Salt and freshly ground pepper
For the mash:
900g King Edward peeled and chopped potatoes
150g frozen peas
1. Heat half the oil in a large heavy-based pan. Add the onion and cook until softened. Tip this onto a plate.
2. Return the pan to the heat and add the rest of the oil. Fry the mince when the oil is hot for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the cooked onion and tomato puree and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the flour and cook for a further minute. Pour in the red wine, scraping up any caramelised bits with a wooden spoon, then add the thyme.
3. Add the stock and simmer for 45 minutes, season to taste and add a few dashes of Worcester sauce. Keep warm over very low heat. Preheat the grill to high.
4. Meanwhile, for the mash, put the potatoes in a pan of salted water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 12-15 minutes. Drain and return the potatoes to the pan, then place over the heat for about 1 minute to drive off any excess moisture. Mash well and then add the butter and milk, beat these to form a smooth mash and season to taste.
5. Put the mince mixture in a baking dish and spoon the mash over the top. Grill for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Meanwhile, boil the peas in water in a small saucepan for 3-4 minutes, then drain and add the butter. Serve the cottage pie with the peas.